August 28, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom

Today is my mom’s birthday. I will call her later but I won’t wish her a happy birthday. Last year, she made it official that she wasn’t “celebrating those things anymore”. My mom is my hero. This is the woman who made my life easy, supports every decision I make and backs me all the way. She has given me great joy and belly laughs all the way.

Mom is the most quotable person I know, makes the best cookies on the face of the earth, is never bored, reads veraciously, is always up on current events and never short on opinion.

This is the woman who; thought I was a shoe-in for the NHL, told everyone who would listen about her son the writer-broadcaster-executive producer, and has never been anything but straight up.

Mom came from an era where you had two choices at a tender age; work or work. She entered the workforce at 13 and retired last year at 70. She has a bright mind and for as long as I can remember, we have always had wicked long in-depth talks about everything – no topic is off-limits.

She is finally retired and I’m sure today she’ll be watching her beloved Toronto Blue Jays and going to dinner with her man Ross – the love of her life. Mom is finally making it about her and that makes me smile.

So I won’t wish her happy birthday today, it’ll be our little secret ;-)

km

 
© Kneale Mann knealemann@gmail.com people + priority = profit
knealemann.com linkedin.com/in/knealemann twitter.com/knealemann
leadership development business culture talent development human capital